Monday, July 23, 2018

Diary Of A Baller: Louis Hutchinson (Upper Marlboro, MD) Entry #5

Bradley Beal and Lou Hutchinson

What’s up Basketball Spotlight World!!!! Welcome to my 5th journal entry for Lou Hutchinson. 

My Basketball Background: Born 3/20/2004, 6’3” Point Guard/Shooting Guard for Team Durant. Attending the Maret School for high school and will be playing for Varsity Coach Chuck Driesell. 

Monday: On Monday morning July 16th, 2018 I woke up around 11 am and ate breakfast. After that I had lunch and I iced my thumb that I hurt during the game the previous week against Alabama Fusion in the MADE 8th Grade Finale in Augusta, Georgia. Once I finished I took a shower put on my braces rubber bands, said my prayers, and went to bed. Tuesday: On 

Tuesday morning July 17th, 2018 I woke up around 7:30 am because I had a doctor’s appointment with orthopedic hand specialist to make sure my thumb was just sprained or bruised. I got an x-ray of my thumb and found out that I had a fracture in my left thumb and would be out of basketball for 3 weeks meaning I would miss the last two tournaments of the season. I was determined that this would not slow up my progress and that I would do something daily with my right hand to drill or workout. I then went to get a brace for my thumb to immobilize it and went home. I then ate, iced, took a shower, and went to bed. 

Wednesday: On Wednesday July 18th, 2018 I woke up around 12 noon and ate breakfast. I got dressed for my lower body workout with my trainer. It was a grueling workout where he had me sprinting and dragging heavy weights. Once I finished the workout I came home and took a quick shower before my work out that night at 9 pm. I worked out with my Maret varsity basketball assistant coach, Brian. We worked on continuing to strengthen my right-hand dribbling, ball control, foot work, and finishing with the right on either side of the basket. It’s tough when you have use of one hand but it is possible. 

Thursday: On Thursday July 19th, 2018 I woke up around 10:30 am and ate breakfast. I them met with my tutor to start working on Geometry concepts in preparation for the upcoming school year. After working with my tutor for 90 minutes I to pack my suitcase for my tournament in Pennsylvania the next day. I then iced my thumb multiple times that day, took a shower, said my prayers, and went to bed. While I can’t play for two weeks as a leader on my team it is important that I am there to support my teammates. 

Friday: On Friday July 20th, 2018 morning I woke up around 10:30 am and met with my tutor again. We reviewed more Geometry concepts for another 90 minute session. I then finished packing all my clothes for the trip. Once I finished I ate breakfast and went to the bus that my Team Durant team was taking to Pennsylvania. Once we got to Pennsylvania we played our game and lost by four to the Sky Liners. In this tournament we played up in the 15U Elite Bracket. I wasn’t able to play in the game because of my injured thumb, but I was on the sideline encouraging my teammates throughout the game. Once the game was over we left and went to the hotel. After we checked in I got in the shower, brushed my teeth, and went to bed. 

Saturday: On Saturday Morning July 21st, 2018 I woke up around 9 am and ate breakfast. I then got dressed and ready and get on the bus to go to our first game of the day. We won against Role Models Elite Green by 20 but because of our loss the night before we had only one more game to finish out the tournament. We then went to eat at a restaurant called “Good N Plenty” which was an all you can eat restaurant. The server brought out chicken salad, apple sauce, fried chicken, roast beef, corn, mashed potatoes, green peas, buttered nettles, tea, lemonade, and five different desserts. Once we finished eating we went back to the gym and played our second game that we won by 4 against Nova 94. After that game we watched a couple of our other teams play, and then went back to the hotel for our last night. I packed my things, said my prayers, and got ready for bed. 

Sunday: On Sunday morning July 22nd, 2018. I woke up at 7:30 am and put my clothes on and brushed my teeth. My mom and sister picked me up around 8:30 am to go to New York City for the rest of the day. Once we reached New York my mom went to get her hair appointment while my sister and I went shopping. At the end of the day we got Italian food for dinner came back to the room, ate, said prayers as a family, and went to bed.