Thursday, May 10, 2018

Diary Of A Baller: Ben Roy (Spring Lake Heights, NJ) Entry #2

What’s up Basketball Spotlight World? 

Welcome to journal entry #2 for Ben Roy. 

Monday: I woke up Monday morning extremely tired and in a ton of pain. Earlier the past weekend, I really hurt my back and it was still affecting me when I woke up. I went to school that morning and the whole day went pretty smoothly. Since the lower grades still had standardized testing, my teachers didn’t feel the need to give us any homework, which I was psyched about. I was expecting to workout on Monday night, but due to my back, I was physically unable to. So, after school I lightly got some shots up and heated my back and stretched the rest of the day. Before I went to bed, I lifted for about 30 minutes and was really working on perfecting my form with lifting. I did some chest, shoulder and bicep work. I am really working on getting stronger heading into high school next year. 

Tuesday: Tuesday morning, my back felt so much better, so I decided I was gonna put some work in that night. Before I left in the morning for school, I found out that I was invited to participate in the Under Armour Next Combine series. It was a great honor to be selected as only 40 players from the region in the Class of 2022 are chosen. It will be a great opportunity to showcase my talents and compete against some of the best in the northeast region. Late Tuesday night, my friend Justin and I headed up to I’m Possible headquarters and worked out for about an hour. And since Justin’s parents were away for work, he stayed over my house. 

Wednesday: This morning I woke up pretty easily knowing that I had no more pain in my back. I was eager to get out of the house and just get over the hump for today. School still was laid back since the lower grades were testing. After school my dad took me to go workout with Mike Rice and that was a great workout. Shortly after the workout, I got some shots up with Mike Rice then went home and lifted for about a half hour. I was shot after everything so I fell asleep right after I got out of the shower. 

Thursday: Waking up this morning was a struggle. Every morning, after my brother showers he will walk into my room and just wake me up. But this morning, I guess I was way too tired to get up and accidentally fell asleep again. So once I realized I fell asleep again, I had to hustle out of the house. School went smoothly and I didn’t really do much work throughout the day. Later that night I went and got in some great work with one of my trainers Bryce Stanhope. Since I just came back from a little injury, I stretched before and after the workout to try and prevent any further injuries. 

Friday: I woke up this morning ready to go. It was about 90 degrees outside so after school I was going to get some shots up before I did anything else. School was easy… just like any Friday. It went by pretty quickly and as soon as the bell rang I dashed through the hallways and out the door. When I got home I got some shots up for a good 30-45 minutes and once I was done, I went to go meet up with some friends. I was out for most of the night with them and once I got home, I fell right asleep. 

Saturday: On the weekends, I usually sleep as long as I want, unless I have to wake up for a game. We originally were scheduled to be at Elevate Hoops Proving Ground finals in Baltimore, but we pulled out due to a few of us are a little banged up with some injuries. So even though I was off this Saturday, I still had to wake up early because I was going to volunteer at a soup kitchen in Asbury Park from 8:30-1:00. It was a great experience to give back to my community and it made me appreciate all that I have. When I got home, I got some shots up in my driveway then took a little nap. When I woke up, I went to go see my little cousin because it was his communion day. After the communion, I met up with my friend Owen and we went to go see our other friends. It was good to see everyone. I came back home with Owen and he stayed over my house that night. We both watched the ending to the Cavs vs. Raptors game and then both fell asleep. 

Sunday: Sunday morning I woke up around 9:00 in the morning and my friend Owen and I went to go get breakfast up the street from my house. After breakfast, him and I went to go play basketball at the park. We played for about an hour and then he went home after that. I went to Dick’s sporting goods with my dad to get some more weights for me to lift. I chilled for a little while and then I headed up to I’m Possible to workout. Since it was a school night, when I got home, I took a shower and went to bed early. Thanks for checking in for entry #2. 

See you guys next week. Follow me on IG: @benroy_